A special collection of our favorite hazelnut cocoa spread comes with a side of virtual travel. Get a taste of Italy with a new line of limited-edition Nutella jars, which feature images of 30 sweet destinations around the country where the iconic spread originated. To fill the hearts and stomachs of everyone experiencing severe wanderlust right now during the global pandemic, Nutella partnered with the Italian National Agency for Tourism (Ente Nazionale Italiano per il Turismo, or ENIT) to create a “Ti Amo Italia” (I love you, Italy) line of labels, which hit shelves on Oct. 12, 2020. The jars hope to “instill all the joy of life and the positivity of the most evocative images of Italy to be enjoyed with a spoon,” ENIT said in a release, adding that the experience will provide folks with a dose of travel “while remaining comfortably seated at home.”
Each jar comes with a QR code that will offer Nutella lovers an immersive virtual travel experience on its digital platform. “It’s a multisensory journey to involve every person in an evocative… storytelling of visual and gastronomic experiences,” ENIT President Giorgio Palmucci said in a statement. “The project will contribute to affirming the Italian spirit and the excellence of [a product] made in Italy with an immediately recognizable brand.” The areas you can explore include Italy’s diverse landscape from villages and mountains to islands and cities. Locations include Gran Sasso in Abruzzo, Faraglioni of Capri in Campania, Porticoes of Bologna in Emilia Romagna, Cinque Terre in Liguria, Lake Como in Lombardy, the hills of San Severino in Marche, Santa Maria del Molise waterfalls in Molise, Lake Maggiore in Piedmont, the archipelago of Maddalena in Sardinia, Scala dei Turchi in Sicily, Val d’Orcia in Tuscany, and Venice in Veneto.
Italy is where the story of the world-famous hazelnut cocoa spread began. It all started back in 1964 when a baker from the small town of Alba created the first jar of Nutella. Right from the beginning, it was an instant hit and it soon became a staple when it comes to tasty breakfasts in every part of the world. Nutella provides numerous yummy recipes on their website, and in honor of its origins and Italian cuisine, we chose to bring you a traditional Italian dessert, Fiammette.
Authentic recipe from Albenga, Italy: Fiammette biscuits with Nutella.
300 g toasted hazelnuts
360 g sugar
15 g egg whites (½ egg white)
45 g honey
30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
100 g egg whites (3 egg whites)
100 g Nutella ®
- 1. Using a blender, combine and grind the toasted hazelnuts and sugar. Then, slowly incorporate the 15 grams of egg whites into the mix.
- 2. Pour the dough into a bowl, and using a mixer slowly incorporate honey, cocoa, and the rest of the egg whites. Knead the dough until homogeneous, for about 2 minutes. If it feels too soft, carefully add some hazelnut flour.
- 3. Use the dough to fill a pastry bag with a no. 10 piping nozzle. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and use the pastry bag to create little swirls the size of a walnut.
- 4. Let your Fiammettes rest for at least an hour. Ideally, let them rest overnight at room temperature.
- 5. Bake for 10 minutes at 347°F in a static oven.
- 6. Let them cool and pair the Fiammettes with Nutella® using a pastry bag.